Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Be Careful What You Wish For

I'm getting really angry. All I want to do is RELIVE MY VACATION, yet recent events keep popping up, and life is going on, and I'm all cranky and stuff.

Before we left for our trip, I heard a rumor that the Assistant Administrator of our local hospital would be leaving for a new job in Texas. That in and of itself is not a big deal, even though my husband is employed at the hospital. The big deal is that said Administrator was planning to teach an undergraduate course in human resource (HR) management this Fall at our local community college. Anyone who knows me knows that I won't be satisfied with my present job forever. Owning my own business allows me a ton of freedom, but my "second career dream" is to be a professor. Since I have an MBA, I am qualified to be a member of adjunct faculty.

The same week that I heard the rumor (which was a bona fide fact), I saw an interesting ad in our local paper. The college was accepting applications for adjunct faculty. Since I was leaving on vacation the very next day, I casually contacted their office to see if they were trying to fill the HR instructor slot. They were unaware that the instructor was leaving, and I was told that they were really just "developing a pool" of "possible instructors" for classes the college "might be adding in the future." So I left for vacation, thinking that I had some time to get my stuff together.

A week after I returned, I assembled my resume' (which is really difficult if you haven't done one in over 14 years), dug out my transcripts, and managed to find some references (also difficult when you've been your own boss for a while). No word for a week. Since classes start August 23rd, I figured they had already found someone to teach the class.

I got the call Monday. Can you teach the class? As thrilled as I was, I was taken aback. What. Have. I. Done.

So, I now have an old syllabus (from 2003), a student textbook, and 2 hours and 45 minutes of classtime, every Wednesday night, to fill with wit and wisdom and experience that will make a difference in students' lives. Wish them luck.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Memphis said...

Good luck to you with the teaching! It's what you wanted. It'll only be scary at first, but once you get settled in you'll be so much happier.

SongBird said...

Good luck! I know you will be successful.

Susan in va said...

OH NO! Congratulations! I would be freaking out and doing cartwheels all at the same time. Something tells me you'll be great.

willowtree said...

You'll be fine. It will take at least three weeks for them to work out you don't know what you're doing, and by that time you will.

It seems the ineptitude pervading academic administration is a worldwide phenomenon.

ninjapoodles said...

Go for it! What is it with those of us who get what we strive for, then immediately want to throw up? I understand COMPLETELY!

Judging from these pages, you will have NO problems. Go get 'em.