Thursday, August 07, 2008

The Edification of Tiggerlane

When I was a younger person, a child really, I had a voracious appetite for books. Books allowed me to escape into different worlds and satisfied my thirst for knowledge. As an only child, I was afforded many opportunities to read, and weekends would find me raiding the local library for new titles. I can recall the BookMobile coming to town, and an attendant scolding me for trying to check out a book about heart attacks. "That's not appropriate for your age," she hollered, taking the book from me with a look of disgust. She had no idea that at the tender age of nine, I had already devoured books about maladies far more grotesque than angina.

Unfortunately, the varied demands of being a wife, mother and business owner have cut into my reading time. I used to always have a book with me, and now that is a rare sight, indeed. I miss reading. I find that my mind works differently when I am in the midst of a good book...that my vocabulary increases and my daily speech improves. So, when I took The Offspring back-to-school shopping yesterday, I purchased two books so that I might reinvigorate my mind. The first is Barack Obama's "The Audacity of Hope." I began this last night, and I can already tell that my grammar will improve and my vocabulary will be expanded from the influence. The second book is "The Power of Now," by Eckhart Tolle. A friend of mine read this recently, and it gave her great inspiration. I love books like this because I am forced to look within, and I usually come away with a nugget of powerful information that stays on my mind and in my heart, long after I have finished the book.

I want to know if any of you out there have read either of these tomes. Since they both made it to the #1 spot on the New York Times bestseller list, SURELY one or two of you have perused the pages. Tell me what you think!

Oh, and lest you think The Offspring is illiterate, she is dying for a copy of "Disco Bloodbath," the true story by James St. James on which the movie "Party Monster" was based. She is interested in expanding her horizons in a completely different way!

8 comments:

Desert Songbird said...

It's been sooooooo long since I've been able to sink my brain into a book. I haven't been able to concentrate very well. I think my mind has turned into tapioca pudding.

I seriously think it might be from oxygen deprivation. Sigh.

bichonpawz said...

I have heard that the first two are very good. But, you know, sometimes ya just gotta devour some good chick lit...maybe that's where your daughter's coming from?? Doesn't require too much thinking, but does make you laugh!

M@ said...

I would look to Barrack Obama less for literary talent and more for political leadership. I don't think anyone thought the book was a literary masterpiece but there are far worse memoirs in the genre.

That woman who snatched that book out of your hands is a bitch. Jealous. Funny, she sounds like more of the book burner type.

Anonymous said...

Those selections wouldn't interest me, but reading any one of them would be better than none! Good for you. It's been a very long time since I've read a book; apparently I unconsciously gave that up when I went back to work.

Anonymous said...

Those selections wouldn't interest me, but reading any one of them would be better than none! Good for you. It's been a very long time since I've read a book; apparently I unconsciously gave that up when I went back to work.

Beckie said...

I have read the Power of Now. Good Book. I read it before Oprah went on her Eckhart Tolle craze.

Anonymous said...

I'm with you - it's hard to read these days.... Our library now has book on iPod - have you seen those? You can carry then around with you... it's pretty neat.

I hope you get some reading done this summer.

Please come and participate in Pet Peeve Tuesday!

Tiggerlane said...

desert songbird - I feel for ya - at least football season is LESS THAN 30 DAYS AWAY!

bichonpawz - I think you're right - sometimes I need the lighten up a bit, too!

m@ - I think the woman had some serious issues...or maybe heart trouble.

kila - I am really making an effort to expand my horizons...been expanding my waistline successfully, so who knows?

beckie - good to know! And I never watch Oprah - but I hear she has good taste in books!

mommywizdom - that DOES sound cool - and I'll have to check out pet peeve Tuesday - sounds right up my alley!